Sunday, December 30, 2007

My apologies for my absence

I apologize for my absence these last few weeks, however I do have a perfectly good excuse.

On December 11th, I was awakened in the middle of the night by a phone call from my Mother who lives just outside Boyertown. She was calling me from the back of an ambulance on her way to St. Joseph's Hospital with my Father. It seems that he had suffered a massive heart attack. For 10 days, I spent the better part of my days sitting in the ICU watching this mountain of a man fight for his life. Bypass surgery and other medical procedures were attempted but the damage was too severe. On December 22 at while I was at church praying: my Father died.

Many of you never knew my Father, but I wish you would have met him... Here was a man who never had a bad word to say about anyone. He went to work, did his job, took care of his family, went to Church, helped in the community and never, not once did he ever demand an award or recognition for what he did. In his words, he did what he did because it was the right thing to do! He was a God-fearing man who believed the Word of God and took His Commandments seriously.

Dad did not care much for labels. In some people's eyes my Dad would have been considered a liberal because of his strong belief in Unions and Working Families, but to many of the liberals my Dad would have been a moderate or conservative. Dad was who he was and gave to his family and the community without even thinking about it. If he was upset about a politicians decision, Dad would get on the phone and be a man and let them know what he thought. He never resorted to name calling or character assassination. He took it to the person and intelligently debated the issue.

I will miss my Dad, but he will never be gone from my heart. I cherish all he has given me. I hope that I will always muster up to what he expected of me. Dad, I know you are looking down from Heaven and I just wanted you to know I love you. I will be forever grateful for your wisdom and strength, but most of all your love.

Your precious child,
S. Dogood

FANS - So today, I apologize for being gone so long and I have a lot of emails to answer so give me a few days to catch up and I will try to respond to everyone. I look forward to writing more in 2008. If there are things I may have missed the last few weeks, please let me know. S.D.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I extend my sincere condolences on your loss, especially during what should be a very joyous time of the year.

May the new year bring you comfort and healing.

-D. Carabello

Anonymous said...

Dear Silence,

Please accept my apology for not responding sooner. I have not checked blogs for several weeks, had some free time, so decided to check on Berks.

Please accept my deepest sympathy for the loss of your father. The loss of a parent is a milestone in one's life.

I lost my Dad a few years ago and I will always remember what he taught me. Please try to remember the love your Dad has for you. Hold on to the little things.

Even though it's been a few years, I am still reminded of my Dad every day. I remember the little things like his laugh, how he taught me to fish, hold a paint brush and drive a car. Those memories will be with me the rest of my life. I am sure you have those kind of memories. Don't ever let them go. Cherish them always.

Again, please accept my condolences and know that whoever you are, you are in my thoughts and prayers.